What are the benefits of being a FireSmart Community?
While the benefits can vary, there are a number of positive outcomes experienced by communities that become members of the FireSmart Communities Program. Being “FireSmart”:
- Creates space that prevents fires from advancing and endangering homes and lives.
- Reduces the probability that wind-driven embers falling far ahead of a wildfire will ignite a fire on or around your home.
- Improves property value while reducing the risk of loss.
- Improves community relationships with the local fire staff. Firefighters can concentrate their efforts on fighting wildfires rather than devoting often limited resources to protecting homes – which may ultimately be lost if the fire can’t be contained.
- Encourages good neighbours, since the more homes within a community that adopt “FireSmart” practices, the greater the impact on reducing the heat and speed of the fire.
- Offers peace of mind, knowing that your home is prepared to survive a wildfire in the event one should occur.