Provincial and territorial liaisons
This accordion item is blank so we can start with everything collapsed
Laura Stewart, BA
Position: FireSmart Specialist
Organization: Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
Laura Stewart has worked with Alberta Agriculture and Forestry for the last five years as a FireSmart Specialist. Prior to joining the Alberta team, Laura spent four years with a municipal fire department as the Neighbourhood Safety Education Coordinator. In this role, Laura was responsible for coordinating all home fire safety, emergency preparedness, and injury prevention programming. In 2012, FireSmart planning and education were added to Laura’s portfolio and she led a neighbourhood FireSmart program.
Laura oversees the FireSmart Neighbourhoods program for the province and is eager to partner with Alberta neighbourhoods and work towards receiving FireSmart Neighbourhood Recognition!
Position: FireSmart BC Provincial Liaison
Organization: British Columbia Wildfire Service
Position: Provincial FireSmart Coordinator for First Nations Emergency Services Society
Organization: First Nations' Emergency Services Society
- Wildfire Prevention and the FireSmart program is my passion, educating people who can protect their homes and communities against the threat of wildfire is empowering.
- I’ve been involved with the FireSmart program for almost five years
- I first got my exposure to the program in 2018 when I attended the FireSmart Conference in Fort MacMurray
- In 2019 I took over as the FireSmart Program lead for BC Wildfire Service and then transitioned to a FireSmart Education Officer until September 2022
- Now the Provincial FireSmart Coordinator for First Nations Emergency Services Society (FNESS) where I will be supporting First Nations Communities in their FireSmart journey.
- When I’m not working, I spend lots of time outside with my family biking, cross-country skiing, and just staying active.
Position: Fire Prevention and Communications Coordinator
Organization: Manitoba Wildfire Service
Delilah Bergen has worked in various positions and jurisdictions within wildfire and forest management since 2015. She is new in the role as Manitoba’s Wildfire Prevention and Communications Coordinator and the provincial FireSmart liaison. She looks forward to collaborating and assisting in integrating the Wildfire Service and communities with prevention and FireSmart initiatives
Newfoundland and Labrador
Position: Fire Prevention Officer
Organization: Department of Natural Resources
Based out of Shubenacadie Nova Scotia, Kara has always had a passion for firefighting both as a wildland firefighter and as a volunteer firefighter. As the fire prevention officer her goal is to make neighbourhood members more aware of the dangers of wildland and urban interface and what all stakeholders can do to minimize the impact of such disasters.
Currently, there are no neighbourhoods in Nunavut participating in the FireSmart Neighbourhood Recognition Program.
Position: Mitigation and Partnerships Lead
Organization: Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry
Chelsea has a variety of experience working in wildland fire and forest management, having started in natural resources as a summer student in 2009. In her role as the Fire Prevention and Education Program Advisor she works to integrate wildland fire prevention strategies and activities into public, community, and industrial planning. She is excited to support the expansion and promotion of FireSmart in Ontario.
Prince Edward Island
Position: Coordonnateur à l’atténuation des risques
Phone: 418-725-7446 #1210
Position: Wildfire Prevention and Mitigation Specialist
Organization: Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA)
Position: FireSmart and Fuels Management Specialist
Organization: Government of Yukon Wildland Fire Management